When I was in college and grad school, I was super productive. I was trained by years of homeschooling to be a self-starter who loved her schedule and to-do list and got stuff done. My favorite day of the semester was when I went through and scheduled everything that I had due so I would be finished at least a week ahead of time. I thought I was pretty hot stuff at the whole “getting-things-done” thing.
I had no idea.
I had no idea what real productivity meant. Because there is NOTHING as productive as a mother whose children are otherwise occupied for a few hours outside of the house. If the State Department offered babysitting, we could figure out this whole Middle East thing. And do a few loads of laundry.
My kids were at their grandparents for like five hours this afternoon. I got the following accomplished.
- Cleaned up from breakfast and the day of school.
- Made flashcards for all the subjects for the coming week.
- Pick up rest of house.
- Vacuum up after Buddy’s toast breakfast in the living room. Because we’re classy.
- Stage and take pictures of two new Etsy products.
- Upload listings for two new Etsy products.
- Order supplies and schedule three new orders that came in today. (Including figuring out where Wailai is in the world.)
- Almost finished a knitting project I’ve been working on for like forever.
- Put three coats of paint on some wooden hearts (oooh stay tuned guys!)
- Sealed a set of coasters.
- Did four loads of laundry.
- Changed kids’ sheets and cleaned up their rooms.
- Made all the beds.
- Washed and dried and straighened hair. (This is a PROCESS, y’all.)
- Watched episode 1 of Poldark.
- Fell in love with Poldark.
- Texted Sister to see when Poldark would start getting Biblical with the redhead kitchen maid.
- Was assured it was coming soon.
- Ordered groceries.
- Ordered cold meds for husband.
- Washed hands like eight times.
- Went through emails.
- Prepped for meeting tomorrow.
- Started work on a headband.
- Almost finished a super long knitting project that I am so done with.
- Cleaned the basement.
- Cleaned out kitchen cabinets of candy from Halloween.
- Sat and stared at the snow softly falling and counted my blessings.
- Did some more laundry.
- Wrote this post.
Grad school me was cute and skinny and hungry all the time, but Mom Me? I get shiz DONE.